Day later, Pak says terror list ‘routine’

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, August 23

Pakistan on Sunday cleared the air about its two orders that sought to sanction an entire spectrum of terrorist organisations and their leaderships by stating that it was a routine exercise which was carried out last year as well.

In a statement, the Pakistan Foreign Office said such consolidated orders (called Statutory Regulatory Orders or SROs) are issued periodically as a routine matter. It had issued similar orders earlier "as per statutory requirements to meet our international obligations''. It denied that the naming of certain people (such as Dawood Ibrahim) in the SROs amounted to admitting their presence in Pakistan.

"The SROs reflect information contained on the list of UN-designated individuals and entities. These lists contain names of those designated under the two-sanction regime established pursuant to the UNSC resolutions," said Pakistan Foreign Ministry in a statement.

The statement did not mention whether it intended imposing sanctions against the 88 terrorist organisations and their leaders if they, as it admits, have been named by the two-sanction regime set up by the UNSC. The Pakistan Foreign Office said reports about Pakistan imposing new sanctions were not factual.

Later, Pakistan underlined that the information in the two orders had been "reproduced as per the details on the list under the two-sanction regime, and contains names of individuals who despite their confirmed deceased status still continue to be on the sanction list."



from The Tribune https://ift.tt/2QfDyn4

No comments:

Post a Comment